I have an old family hanukkah recipe for these sizzling crispy hot cakes. Follow my instructions – you can’t go wrong!
• 2 cups peeled and shredded potatoes
• 1 tablespoon grated onion
• 3 eggs, beaten
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1/2 cup of oil
1. Place the potatoes in a colander and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
2. Strir the potatoes, onion, eggs, flour and salt together.
3. In a large heavy-bottomed pan on medium-high heat, heat the oil until hot. Place large spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the hot oil, pressing down on them to form 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick patties. Brown on one side, turn and brown on the other. Let drain on paper towels. Serve hot!
4. Please note, my recipe yields 10 to 12 latkes.
Tip: The latke are best when serve with applesauce, sour cream or chopped green onions.